Saturday, May 10, 2008

NY Friday - Elvis Costello, Black Metal and the Relentless Rain


One day in New York City is often equal to a million days anywhere else on Earth. It's rather amazing that Tom and I don't have pneumonia now as we must have walked at least two miles in the cold rain yesterday (with no umbrella or raincoats. Man, we are dumb).

His day started in Soho looking for clothes for SNL or the Fall Tour or something while mine began on Irving Place having tea with the aforementioned (in another post) Sean Eden (who used to play in one of my fave bands ever, Luna. Did I tell you I got mentioned in Dean Wareham's memoir? Two people have told me this, but I have yet to see it. I am so totally famous now. Okay. Not really). Sean and I caught up and spent some more time going over various conspiracy theories. Good times. I think there are few things I enjoy discussing more than government mind control.

The hubs and I rejoined on the Upper East Side (lunch at Candle 79 - $100 for a meal that did not include meat, alcohol or dessert. Amazing, huh? But I will try every vegetarian restaurant on the planet from the cheap to the slightly insane. Also, I got to eavesdrop on a fascinating conversation between two well-heeled writers, one of whom had gone to the recent White House Correspondents Dinner). That was a ridiculous parenthetical aside, wasn't it?

After lunch we moseyed on down to Barney's New York where Tom spotted Elvis Costello wandering through women's handbags. I am really truly awful with the celebrity spotting. As with Gabriel Byrne, I never would have noticed Elvis unless someone pointed him out to me. I once saw Rainn Wilson at a restaurant, and I thought he was some guy I knew from the music biz. A friend had to tell me, err, no, it's the guy from The Office. Nothing at Barney's for us but a snooty sunglass salesman (I love when people who work retail act like they're better than you. Seriously. That said, I worked at a clothing store once and let's just say I am not suited for customer service).

After getting soaked on the UES we headed over to Chelsea for the Peter Beste show at the Steven Kasher Gallery. Peter quickly became one of my favorite photographers after my pal Scribbys sent me a link to his work. It was amazing to see his Norwegian Black Metal photos and we bought the limited edition book (limited to 666 copies, tee hee) that came with the poster and signed 8 x 10. I always joke that Kvitrafn is going to be my boyfriend if things don't (God-if-you-exist forbid) work out with Tom. He is oh so dreamy! Also, let me say that I have been to two Black Metal shows and those fans, whether they worship Satan or not, are the most polite people ever).

We had dinner at Cafeteria with our Louisville to NY transplant pals Amanda and Andy. The food was good, especially the mac and cheese spring rolls with smoked gouda dipping sauce (yum!), but I must confess I really hate restaurants that think you want to be in a freaking Eurodisco while you're eating. The waitress couldn't even hear me order it was so damn loud.

Our evening ended with a most surreal experience - drinks at Faces and Names in Midtown. I don't actually drink so there wasn't anything to take the edge off of the complete surreality of "normal" people going out on a Friday night. We watched one dude who looked like Milhouse's dad come to life hit on some Bridge & Tunnel (possible) tranny in a too tight tube top and two-toned hair. Also, our waitress had a voice that projected into Jupiter. I hope all of these people find love. I really do.

Suffice it to say, though it was a fun day (even if the rain didn't let up EVER), we were very happy to head back to the hotel and were in bed by 11.15. That's the crazy part - all this stuff happened between noon and 11.

SNL tonight, but first we're going down to Herald Square (looking in the crowd, your face is everywhere) to see if we can spend any more money. Somehow, I think it's possible.

They eye of the tiger!
Ms. P

1 comment:

  1. the "milhouse's dad" ref just got my goat in a pretty big way.

    ReplyDelete