Sunday, May 4, 2008

For Whom the Eight Belles Toll

It's 1.37 am, and I'm still shedding tears for a horse I'd never heard of before yesterday.

I think it was just the shock of seeing near triumph turn to absolute tragedy in the space of seconds.

I've been spending a lot of time boo hoo-ing over animals lately. We've been fostering dogs for Grrand (two in the last two weeks), and it's hard to see them go (but great to know they're going to good homes).

As for the Derby, I'm torn on the issue of whether these animals want to race or not. I'm sure they want to run... but do they want to run in a tight pack alongside other horses with men sitting on top of them whipping them into a frenzy? It's hard to believe anyone would choose that.

I don't sit on high... I've been a vegetarian for 19 years, but I still purchase leather goods (which almost makes me worse than a meat eater, I admit). I have rescue pets, but I still by Puffs tissues (and I know their parent company tests on animals). I try hard to avoid designers who use fur (but have some Burberry perfume and a pair of Marc Jacobs wedges - although those were free).

I'm not sure what my point is here. We do what we can, but somehow it's never enough.

What is a truly humane world? Is it possible?

Err, I'll get back to watching Gone in 60 Seconds now... for like the 10th time.

Maudlin yet sober,
Ms. P

3 comments:

  1. She was my pick, too. My hubs won decent bit of money on her, but we're not going to cash in the tickets... it's just too depressing.

    After Barbaro and this, I'm washing my hands of horse racing. They're beautiful animals and I love to watch them run, but I wanted to throw up yesterday.

    I had to leave to cover the Grand Gala about five minutes after I learned what happened and it was so difficult to pretend to be happy.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are awesome. Which might be a weird thing to say but... there you go.

    Also, re Nigel... so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried too.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete