Monday, March 3, 2008

The LP Questionnaire - Ben Spurr of The Coast

Re-post from the SXSW blog... partly because I can be convicted of lazy posting, partly because I'm working 90 hour days, mostly because I really like this band and want you to, too.

The great country of Canada produces some of the coolest bands... Rush, The Band, Arcade Fire, Sloan, Tegan and Sara, Neil Young and Crazy Horse... and we all know how I just love Triumph...

Along comes The Coast with the kind of sublime pop that feels so familiar and songs take you by the heart to the place where it's fall and there's a snap in the air and that cute guy/girl you have a crush on is walking you home and suddenly you're both running because the moon eclipsed and all you see are stars.

Okay, err, back to reality here. It's my lucky day to bring you Benjamin Spurr, lead singer and guitarist of The Coast.

The LP Questionnaire


Name: Ben Spurr
Pro Wrestling Name: Jack Gravy, apparently

1. Pretend you're 15 (and tell us what year it is, if you don't mind). Name three songs you'd put on a mix tape for your girlfriend/boyfriend.
It's 1998. I'd probably put on "Sonnet" by the Verve, "So Cruel" by U2, and "Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes", by Paul Simon. She would not appreciate any of them, and then start making out with my brother. '98 was a rough year.

2. Which evil villain would make the best president? Stalin.

3. What was your favorite cartoon as a child? I think it was Bravestarr. He was a space cowboy who policed a small town on a planet where people mined for crystals, and he had a mechanical horse named "Thirty/Thirty," like the gun. But I'm sure I don't have to tell you what a 30-30 is, you're from Texas.

4. What superpower do you wish you had? To be able to write songs in my sleep.

5. What would the title of your autobiography be? Snack Chip: The Ben Spurr Story

No comments:

Post a Comment