Friday, November 23, 2007

Project Runway: Vest and the City

Today, instead of watching The Brady Bunch, I'm catching up on Project Runway so I can blog, two days late, about episode two.

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving. We went to 5 Ninth for dinner last night and I thought the food was mostly mediocre (the guys loved it), but the brownie was divine. Wednesday night I took my brother and niece around town and after milkshakes at Big Daddy's we rode the Staten Island Ferry (as did several drunk teenage boys) and walked around downtown checking out the New York Stock Exchange, Trinity Church (pictured here) and its amazing graveyard and Ground Zero (which hasn't changed much since the last time I was there in '02). It's funny (strange) to remember the first time I came to NY when I was 14 and went to the top of the World Trade Center and now Alex is the same age and on her first trip here and the landmark that I loved and seemed so invincible is just... gone (and we still haven't caught bin Laden but are about to go into Iran and, err, okay, I digress).

But this is the Project Runway post and episode two was a biggie. The show's first celebrity challenge had the designers sketching away for Sarah Jessica Parker with the winning outfit possibly being sold as part of Bitten's fall/winter collection at Steve and Barry's. The contestants look excited about this, probably because they've never actually seen the Bitten Line. Or Steve and Barry's. To go from Banana Republic and I.N.C. to Bitten and S&B is... well... just a tad downmarket.

A few thoughts:

Chris March (the heavyset costume designer) cried at the arrival of SJP. I love that a gay man moved to NYC after watching Sex and the City.

Speaking of tears, Ricky Lizalde had the waterworks going yet again. What is with this guy? It was a two hat episode (Jason, were you counting?) and I believe there is hair beneath the mesh. I did like his dress, though, and was impressed that it only cost $15 to make.

Elisa Jimenez, the girl from another planet, and her polymorphic spit marking (euw!) guarantee that she'll stick around for at least a few episodes to provide drama and fun. Her dress ended up being quite interesting, I must admit. And even though I didn't like the cape, I do think she's shown that she understands good design and how clothes fit (that horrible train aside). I just don't understand how her pieces come together.

In the end, Victorya Hong and her strangely proportioned (to the dress) racerback vest won the challenge. Marion Lee and his Pocahantas burlap sack dress are out. Christian Siriano and his bizarro take on the 80s get saved.

Okay, it's time to hit the Chelsea galleries and get some culture in before the spending begins!

TGIF!
Ms. P

2 comments:

  1. Darn it, I haven't gotten around to last week's episode yet. It'll have to be a double-feature after the kids go to bed tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The guy with all the hats is such a whiner!
    Elisa's spit dress was ... ick. But the rest of her stuff has been a lot more tailored looking.
    I wasn't too impressed with the outfits, but in retrospect (after the menswear design episode), they were pretty good.
    Eek. Better luck next week, pals.

    ReplyDelete