Thursday, October 25, 2007

Today's Short Window: SoCal vs New Orleans

This might be an inappropriately titled post but I didn't know what else to call it (and I confess I'm in a bit of a rush). I've been watching the news over the past few days and am sort of amazed/baffled over the contrast between the organization and reactions of the people in Southern California vs those in New Orleans.

Michael Chertoff credits the response to lessons learned from Katrina but is that really it?

I saw a story about a teenager who lost her home who was at Qualcomm volunteering and helping other victims, there was an impromptu band performance by musicians who lost their homes and Boy Scouts are organizing aid.

I'm loathe to conclude this has anything to do with race, money, or location. I know that the nature of the fires has given people a bit more warning than the people of NOLA had but... both sets of images are equally vivid - more for their stark differences than anything else.

What do you think? I don't know what to make of it, really.

Alright, I'm off to the airport. I'll be mildy amusing again once I'm in beautiful Sunnyvale, California.

Whoopi says if a man panics she can't be mad at him,
Ms. P

No comments:

Post a Comment