Thursday, October 11, 2007

Eat, Drink, Art, Shopping

In three days Tom and I have trekked up to Camarillo to shop the outlets, down to Torrance to House of Veg for our fave pepper salt "chicken" tenders (but boy were we bummed to discover that the Krispy Kreme down the street had closed down and was being turned into a bank!), over to West Hollywood for mediocre trendy breakfast foods and further consumption at The Beverly Center (Hello Bunny Bags!), into Hollywood proper to shoot atop the Capitol Records tower, further east to Koreatown for some authentic bi bim bap, over to La Cienega and San Vicente for lunch at India's Grill, west to Beverly Hills for fancy cupcakes and good times at Neiman Marcus and further west to Santa Monica for some gallery hopping at Bergamot Station and dinner at my favorite vegan restaurant (Salisbury Seitain, yum!) Real Food Daily.

Crikey, I'm tired just reading that. We're staying in Manhattan Beach and haven't even had time to enjoy the ocean yet. Though we're both slightly cross-eyed from exhaustion, every trip to California brings memorable moments like Tom finding the Luke Chueh bear on the sidewalk outside Gallery 1988, the lovely owner of Beverly Soon Tofu following us out of the restaurant to give me more spoons (honestly, I was a bit nervous about going to K-Town because I don't speak the language and I've had varying experiences because of it), seeing the Isabel Samaras show at Copro Nason (I asked T if I could borrow $4,000 to buy two of the Isabel Samaras paintings, but I don't think he was so interested in that proposition. Drat!) and catching up with old friends.

Today we're off to Highland Park and La Abeja for our favorite Mexican food. They make the best verde sauce in the world. It's family-owned (and I confess I used to have a little crush on the patriarch, Ray) and so completely out of the way that I remember being rather shocked when I saw Bjork there several years ago.

Tomorrow it's north to Portland for the weekend for some QT with the BFF. Hopefully it will be that relaxing time you're supposed to experience on vacation.

I was discussing TV writing with a friend of mine who has written for shows like West Wing, Hidden Palms and Side Order of Life and she was telling me about how the work can suffer from trying to produce while completely exhausted from the grueling hours. So, err, that's my excuse for the lack of posting/possibly repetitive writing this week. I shall endeavor to return to my usual sparkling witty repartee next week!

Paul McCartney's divorce is almost final,
Ms. P

ps. Don't forget, Brucie Churchill and Mark Scribner are up tomorrow in The LP Questionnaire. This marks the close of two weeks with MMJ... or does it??? Heh heh heh.

1 comment:

  1. I totally that they were already divorced. After all the publicity the divorce was getting a few months ago, I thought that was done and over and she was rich. Now she's saying she'll take less money if she can go on the talk show circuit and talk about being Mrs. McCartney? She sounds like a big ol' mess.

    I hope you're enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete